A Telecourse Recording with CNVC Certified Trainer John Kinyon from El Sobrante, California, USA
“The Chinese philosopher Chuang-Tzu stated that true empathy requires listening with the whole being: ‘… it demands the emptiness of all the faculties. And when the faculties are empty, then the whole being listens. There is then a direct grasp of what is right there before you that can never be heard with the ear or understood with the mind.’”
—Excerpt from Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
In this telecourse recording, John offers an overview and practice with 4 elements of empathy – presence, understanding/meaning, need language, and deepening into needs.
Listen to a sample audio snippet.
The focus of this recording is learning the presence of empathy and allowing the words of empathic reflection to flow naturally and simply from presence. This can happen when there is an “emptiness of the faculties” and listening with one’s “whole being.” You will also learn about giving people understanding in natural language before moving into translating and connecting to need language.
- Listen to the learning material again and again
- Recordings are an alternative to participating in live course
- Use recordings to prepare for a live workshop or telecourse
- Conveniently listen in your car, while you're jogging, or while relaxing at home
- Recordings can supplement your learning and reinforce what you already know
- Recordings make great learning tools for your practice group